Cochlear implants are usually only recommended for adults when their hearing aids no longer provide enough hearing benefits for them. At this point, they are heavily dependent on lip-reading or other cues such as sign language or non-verbal cues to get by face-to-face. But during this Covid-19 pandemic, it is much harder and inconvenient to live by these processes, especially when most of the time outside, the speaker is behind a mask. However, it is never too late to receive cochlear implant treatment as an adult, and greatly transform your lives with it.
Questions to ask yourself first for self-evaluation:
- Do you have severe to intense hearing loss in one or both ears?
- Have you been wearing hearing aids but receiving little to no benefits from them?
- Do you struggle with communicating and conversing even when you are wearing your current hearing aids?
- Do you have hearing difficulties on your handphone even with hearing aids?
If you answered “yes” to one or more questions for yourself or your loved ones, or you want to learn more about cochlear implants for adults, do continue to read below.
How can cochlear implants help you?
At the stage in which the adult is already equipped and living with a hearing aid, they might still be able to hear, but not as clear as what a cochlear implant can provide. They can assist adults with severe to intense hearing loss in one or both ears. Cochlear implants do not modify the signals as a hearing aid would, but they adapt and adjust the way the wearer receives sound instead by delivering clearer and crisper sounds.
What are the benefits of wearing a cochlear implant?
Wearing a cochlear implant as an adult, you can almost benefit immediately and continue to see improvements for about 3 months after the initial tuning sessions. Performances can be seen to improve for several years after. The other usual benefits are as follows:
- Enjoy TV and movie entertainment more easily.
- Make telephone calls with ease and understand both familiar and unfamiliar voices over the phone.
- Be able to perceive the distinct differences in soft, medium, and loud sounds.
- Enjoy clear music performances through certain musical instruments and voices.
The benefits one can expect from wearing a cochlear implant can also vary on several factors such as:
- The severity of your hearing loss.
- At what age did you start to suffer from hearing loss.
- What is your history of hearing aid use prior to cochlear implantation.
- Level of motivation and commitment of yourself and your supporting family members.
Is it to easy to adapt to a cochlear implant as an adult?
It might feel weird at the start, as it is a new device that needs some time getting used to. But after going for a few programming sessions to fine-tune your device to your needs, it will be easier and more comfortable to adapt to it daily.
At Cochlear Implant Singapore, we have more than 4 decades of global and regional experience in the assessment of hearing, consultations, and treatments. We aim to be a safe space for people who have undergone cochlear implant or are planning to, as well as for their loved ones too. If you are not sure which cochlear implant to choose, do book a consultation with us today to find out more about the cochlear implant treatment options out there.
Unassisted hearing loss is one of the risk factors we should not take lightly as we age, as it is commonly linked to dementia and depression. If you are not getting enough compensation from your current hearing aids, seek help from a specialist or audiologist immediately.
(Image from Unsplash)